Friday, 17 April 2015

Greetings comrades!

So here it is, my not-so-long awaited new blog. It's been so long since I tried to blog I've forgotten how to make it enjoyable, so please bear with me while I find my feet.

Let me introduce myself to those who don't know me. My name is Steveland, I'm 30 years old, and I like to run. A lot. I'm one of those crazy ultra-running people you hear about in passing. The kind of person that will run a regular marathon as training, then probably go out for a "recovery" run of just a few miles the next day (only 5 or so). I'm not particularly fast, but I am generally fit and healthy and in shorter distances I've had reasonable success. I like to race, and will enter as many races as is financially viable. Ultra distance (anything over marathon/26.2 miles) is my favourite, however due to accommodation, gear etc. they also tend to be the most costly.

Also, I'm now a dad.

Some people won't consider it "official" until the baby is born, but to me, baby is just hibernating, so I'm already a dad. And for one simple reason: the worrying has started already.

With this means new responsibilities, financial and otherwise. Time is at a premium, and I was already using my allowance with a full time job, study for a degree, and running all the time. Little Pumpkin is due to be with us around 5th of October.

So, let's get to the crux of the matter. Here I am, 30 years old, feeling like my running years are slowly going the way of the dodo. Admittedly I know they're not, I know guys up to 20 years older than me still busting out my 5k PB for fun on a Saturday morning parkrun. Still, I know the clock's ticking away and I'm eager to get my faster times in while I can. I'm also in my penultimate year of study, which means I won't be done until Summer 2016 at the earliest. Then obviously I now have the ultimate responsibility of fatherhood. I'm already sure the reward will be worth it, I'm excited all the time and if I feel this way now, imagine how awesome it'll be when I'm getting 3 hours sleep a night (if that) getting pooped, wee weed, puked on, having my hair and piercings yanked 72 times an evening...

That's me, and this is my quest. To juggle all of these things and hopefully not let anyone down.

This blog is not going to have a regular post rate, just occasional thoughts and important updates. First on the agenda, Manchester marathon on Sunday. I'll hopefully get to posting a race report/review of my performance afterwards, but for now here's a few key elements:
  • currently 3 weeks and 5 days post 100k finish (12 hours 4 minutes)
  • aiming for sub 3 hours 30 minutes
  • marathon PB sits at 3:44:16 on the same course in 2013 (with broken ribs)
If all goes to plan, I'll be sat in the Trafford pub just after 12:30 with Boundy (aka the infamous "Trackie Dave") with a celebratory pint. I've signed up for Facebook updates so if you're friends with me you'll likely see something on the day.

That's that for now. Time to go and watch The Pacifier to get some awesome tips on how to look after kids from the legend that is Vin Diesel.

No comments:

Post a Comment